Monday, April 30, 2012

Firstborn Knitted Baby Bobble Hat

I was looking around the Internet for a knit flat newborn baby hat and didn't have much luck finding one. They were all either knitted on DPNS or on circular needles in the round. I really couldn't be bothered to dig out my circulars and I don't own DPNS, so, you guessed it, I wrote my own pattern. It's so easy and I was surprised that I couldn't find one online. Maybe my pregnancy brain made them invisible...

The newborn baby hat is knitted flat on 5mm straight knitting needles and sewn up the side once finished. I'm not the fastest of knitters and this only took me two evenings (approx 6 hours) to make, so I'm sure the more experienced knitters will be able to complete it in half the time.

The size of this hat is for a newborn, approx 11-13 inches head circumference and 5.5inches tall. This hat should fit newborn up to 3 months of age.

The materials you will need to make this easy newborn hat:
  • wool of your choice, I used Patons 'FAB!' DK
  • straight 5mm knitting needles
  • darning needle / crochet hook to make up
  • measuring tape / ruler

The stitches/techniques you will need to know to make this hat:
  • cast on
  • knit and purl stitches
  • K2TOG - knit two together
  • whip/blanket stitch to make up
  • pom-pom skillz
The easy-peasy pattern to make this hat is as follows:

Using straight 5mm needles, CO 60 stitches (I used a long-tail cast on but use whatever technique you're most comfortable with)

Ribbing: K4, P4 until end
Work in k4,p4 ribbing until ribbed band measures 1 inch

Work in garter stitch (knit every row) until entire piece including ribbing measures 4 inches


DEC row 1: *knit 6 stitches, k2tog* repeat to end.
Knit next row without decreasing to end

DEC row 2: *knit 5 stitches, k2tog* repeat to end
Knit next row without decreasing to end

DEC row 3: *knit 4 stitches, k2tog* repeat to end
Knit next row without decreasing to end

DEC row 4: *knit 3 stitches, k2tog* repeat to end
Knit next row without decreasing to end

DEC row 5: *knit 2 stitches, k2tog* repeat to end
Knit next row without decreasing to end

DEC row 6: *knit 1 stitch, k2tog* repeat to end
Knit next row without decreasing to end

DEC row 7: *k2tog* repeat to end

Break yarn leaving a long tail and thread tail through remaining stitches on needle. Pull tightly closed. Use the rest the tail to make up the side using whip/blanket stitch.

If you so wish, get your pom-pom skillz out and make a fancy topper for your hat. Voila! Told you it was easy :)

4 comments:

  1. Making us all look bad with your crafty-ness, Jade. PSH.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldnt find one for days then saw yours thx for the help got 3 babys to knit for

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, I was able to whip up a last minute baby hat last night using this pattern. This was my first hat that wasn't knit on a loom. Great pattern that made it easy to learn and build confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. I was able to whip out an adorable little hat last night. This was my first hat and I struggled to find a pattern that wasn't intimidating. This is very straight forwrad and turned out adorable.

    ReplyDelete